Saturday 8 August 2015

15 Things That Happen To Everyone When Going To The Cinema Alone

I recently went to the cinema by myself (see my Paper Towns review post) and for some reason everybody seems to think that's a strange thing to do. I've never really understood why it's so socially unacceptable to go places by yourself - I do it all the time and it's so much better in my opinion. I feel like it's important to spend time in solitude and know how to not be defined by another person all the time. It's not that I refuse to go with somebody else, it was just that I really wanted to see the film so why would I let not having anyone as company stop me? I find it worrying that there are people who would actually refrain from doing something they want to just because they're scared to be alone. Anyway, going to the cinema isn't really the most sociable of experiences in the first place; it's not even like you can talk to each other!!! I definitely think we should remove the social stigma of seeing movies by yourself - I'm already planning my next trip and I can't wait to do it again.
cinema

1. You go to book the film with somebody else with you and the cashier automatically puts through two tickets so you have to awkwardly explain that you just want one

2. Your mother standing beside you slowly edges away and starts pointing at you to make it clear that she is NOT the loner in this duo

3. The cashier still looks confused and takes at least thirty seconds to comprehend the fact that you actually want to go alone (shocking, I know)

4. You get given a premier seat and your dad jokingly asks whether it has 'LL' written on the back

5. It's time to queue and you are the ONLY one not excitedly talking about the film to your friend beside you

6. Taking your seat and going on your phone for a bit before suddenly wondering 'crap what it everyone thinks I'm texting my friends cause I've been stood up or something'  

7. Then you stop being a weirdo and remember that you couldn't care less what people think

8. 'I mean, c'mon... I may be alone but that just means I don't have to share my food with anyone'

9. You become super aware of your surroundings *sends mental death stare in the direction of the people behind me with their feet on my chair*

10. You don't know whether to be glad or offended that the entire row of seats next to you are empty

11. The movie finally starts and you are super relieved that you can enjoy it without being distracted by somebody next to you constantly asking what's going on 

12. There are no awkward moments where you feel obliged to laugh at a scene just because your friend is

13. *revels over getting both armrests to yourself*

14. You spot somebody else sitting alone *mini fist pump* oh wait... there's their friend

15. The movie finishes and you can actually go home straight away without having to wait outside the toilets for your friend (do I just have a strong-bladder compared to everyone else?)

What's your view on going to the cinema alone? Sad or smart?
TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOKBLOGLOVIN' 

7 comments:

  1. Haha, I feel you. I went to see Perks of Being a Wallflower alone (and had lunch before... also alone) and it definitely felt weird. Although there was a lady on her own, as well, which made me feel less of a weirdo. It was actually a super nice experience. I mean you probably don't talk during a movie anyway, so why not go alone?! I'd do it again. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah this is brilliant! I definitely feel weird about it because of my anxiety but I know it's irrational and I would love to do it! I also really want to see the film! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to go to the cinema by myself especially if it's a film I really want to see and no one else does. There shouldn't be a stigma around the idea of doing things alone :)

    Vikki x
    http://planetvikki.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to go to the cinema by myself especially if it's a film I really want to see and no one else does. There shouldn't be a stigma around the idea of doing things alone :)

    Vikki x
    http://planetvikki.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post, found it super interesting. Totally love what you said about it being important not to define ourselves by someone else's presence!

    Paris
    http://lifeinflorals.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed reading this post. I never do anything by myself cause I find the whole idea really boring, and I kinda like doing things with others and enjoying their company. I definitely get what you mean about no depending on others though... this I think I do to much! xx

    Kate | A British Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going to the cinema on my own is always so awkward for me. I hate when people give me looks like oh my God, are you alone? and I'm just stand there eating my caramel popcorn staring back at them. But the worst is when random guys start hitting on you trying to make you a company :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig