Monday 10 August 2015

Nina Reads Glamour Mag | September 2015

It's that time of the month again! New issue - whoop. I was looking forward to September's 'Big Fashion Issue' but as you'll find out below, I was kinda disappointed with it. Perhaps I had too high expectations, but I do feel like last month's August issue was a lot better on the whole. I had even more features noted down in the 'Bad' and 'Ugly' sections than what's posted here but there's only so much criticism one can take, right? I'll give Glamour the benefit of the doubt and will hope for better reading next month.
glamour magazine september 2015
THE GOOD
glamour magazine karlie kloss street style
Karlie Kloss is just a ray of pure sunshine. This is my favourite outfit of hers (like, ever) and I don't know whether she's worn it multiple times or I just keep seeing the same photo, but I am unashamedly proud that I automatically recognised it as being en route to BFF Taylor Swift's New York apartment. 

glamour magazine 24 hours with jack whitehall
Usually these '24 hours with' features are unbelievably tedious. Does anybody really care what some C-list sleb gets up to every hour of the day? Let's face it, they obvs exaggerate to make their life seem more interesting anyway. However, with Jack being a comedian and somebody I'm familiar with, his feature was actually enjoyable for a change. It was quite funny and I'm definitely looking forward to watching the Bad Education movie!
glamour magazine refugee story
This real-life story of Ivie's terrifying journey to flee war-torn Libya, whilst pregnant and with a small child, was truly harrowing. I really don't like how British people often have the tendency to view refugees/asylum seekers/immigrants - whatever you want to call them - as lazy, selfish inhuman creatures. Most of us are privileged enough to have no clue what it must feel like to be so desperate for a better life that you are willing to hide in the back of fume-engulfed lorries and cram yourself into a filthy and unsafe boat with hundreds of others. When us Brits emigrate for a 'better life', we mean retiring in some exotic villa and living in the lap of luxury. When these people escape from their dangerous countries for a 'better life', they are simply looking for a safe place where they can work and provide for themselves, their family and society. These people are looking for a sliver of hope. How dare people accuse them of 'scrounging from our system without putting anything into it'. These humans are not looking for the easy way out. They simply want basic human rights and often they work harder than most of us ever will in laborious jobs such as cleaners and supermarket workers - the ones which many of us are too proud to degrade ourselves down to. And the main difference between them and us is that they're THANKFUL for the little that they do have. Most of us have more than enough yet are still unsatisfied and constantly wanting more. I don't get involved in politics and clearly the main issue still lies in the state of their home country - but the least we could do as humans is show some compassion and empathy to others when we're so privileged in comparison.

THE BAD
dolce and gabbana perfume advert
SO. MANY. ADVERTS. It seems that's all 'Big Fashion Issue' is a translation for. Not cool.
A bold eyes wall of fame without the inclusion of brow queen Cara Delevingne? That is not the kind of world I wish to live in, thank you.
glamour magazine black nails
I'm all for black nail polish - but it is the COMPLETE opposite of 'grown-up' nails. Soz.

THE UGLY
I'm still not sure who this lady is or what she does, but I'm now convinced that she complains for a living. Each week her entire column is just one big hypocritical whinge about other people - and I've only read two of them. I might have to skip past it from now on because the negativity is real.
I don't want to be friends with anybody who spews that kind of gender-based judgement over such a frivolous topic - but it's even more disturbing when it comes from the mouth of a 10 year old. Please let's stop teaching our kids that there are certain ways to act and dress in order to be a 'good' person or man/woman. I would strongly advise you to start spending time thinking about other more important things. There's nothing wrong with wanting to wear heels but it's strange to have such a need to judge and control the outfit choices of others.

What are your thoughts on this month's Glamour issue?
TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOKBLOGLOVIN' 

3 comments:

  1. Well said my darling! Dawn o porters column always brings me down haha I stopped reading it too xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate comments that aim to judge women based on their life choices!! When I see things like that, they really really get on my nerves!!! x

    Eden x / edenroses

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig