Monday 25 January 2016

Word of the Week | PETRICHOR

It's that time again... the notion of a new Word of the Week always brightens up my Monday. I can only hope it has the same effect on you guys! This week's word is pretty apt considering British weather recently...
lunar look word of the week petrichor
PETRICHOR
Definition: the scent of rain on dry earth

You know the really nice smell after rain that everybody seems to love but can never explain why? Well, there's a word for it. It sounds like the term is almost made-up upon first glance but it's pretty simple when you dissect it - a blend of 'petri' meaning 'relating to rocks' and the word 'ichor', often used in Greek mythology to mean the ethereal blood that runs through the veins of gods, but basically 'fluid'. You learn something new everyday, right?

Check back here next Monday for a shiny new word!

What do you think of this week's word?
TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOKBLOGLOVIN' 

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful word - I love these word of the week posts, I feel like I'm learning something new and expanding my vocabulary! Now to work out how I can casually slip them all into my sentences...

    Grace | eat, write + explore x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig